Hello! here is a new health and wellbeing article. Yesterday I went to farmers market in the city center square and I was trilled by the large options of fresh vegetables and fruits they had.. with a very good price. I made sure to mix and take as much rare vegetables as possible. Its been ages since I ate fresh Fava beans. Last year I made a soup that contain them dry and its a big difference in the taste of course.
I added these yummy fresh beans to my Moroccan Couscous that I usualy make because it contains 7 vegetable types in it. Below you can find out the benefits of this amazing bean:
Health benefits of fava beans
- Fava beans are very high in protein, and energy as in other beans and lentils. 100 g beans carry 341 calories per 100 g. The beans, however, compose plentiful of health benefiting antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and plant-sterols.
- The beans are very rich source of dietary fiber (66% per100g RDA) which acts as a bulk laxative. Dietary fiber helps to protect the colon mucosa by decreasing its exposure time to toxic substances as well as by binding to cancer-causing chemicals in the colon. Dietary fiber has also been shown to reduce blood cholesterol levels by decreasing re-absorption of cholesterol binding bile acids in the colon.
- Broad beans are rich in phyto-nutrients such as isoflavone and plant-sterols. Isoflavone such as genistein and daidzein have been found to protect breast cancer in laboratory animals. Phytosterols, especially ß-sitosterol, help lower cholesterol levels in the body.
- Fava beans contain Levo-dopa or L-dopa, a precursor of neuro-chemicals in the brain such as dopamine, epinephrine and nor-epinephrine. Dopamine in the brain is associated with smooth functioning of body movements. Thus, consumption of adequate amounts of fava beans in everyday diet may help prevent Parkinson's disease and dopamine responsive dystonia disorders. (Medical disclaimer).
- Fresh fava beans are an excellent source of folates. 100 g beans provide 423 µg or 106% of folates. Folate along with vitamin B-12 is one of the essential components of DNA synthesis and cell division. Adequate folate in the diet around conception, and during pregnancy may help prevent neural-tube defects in the newborn baby.
- They also contain good amounts of vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine), thiamin (vitamin B-1), riboflavin and niacin. These vitamins function as co-enzymes in cellular metabolism of carbohydrate, protein, and fat.
- In addition, broad beans are one of the fine sources of minerals like iron, copper, manganese, calcium, magnesium. At 1062 mg or 23% of daily recommended levels, fava are one of the highest plant sources of potassium. Potassium is an important electrolyte of cell and body fluids. It helps counter pressing effects of sodium on heart and blood pressure.